Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

To Do



As another summer slips away, I think of my to-do list and the many things on it that I did not get to.  I wonder why I even make a summer to-do list?  I know that June will be dominated by swim team commitments.  Throw in a quick trip to St. Louis, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, and the occasional house guest.....or 11...... and well......there isn't much time for a to-do list. Then again.  Maybe it's just the wrong to do list!

So, what did I get done this summer?  You mean besides sitting poolside with a cool drink {of water} in hand?

Let's see......

I got to witness yet another miraculous achievement in the life of a child born with spina bifida and given little hope for a normal life as a toddler, when Claire swam 25 meters without the help of  lane lines a floatation device. Not once, but three times this summer. And while her coach was instrumental in this, her Mama spent a lot of time in the pool with her outside of swimteam practice.  So, I think I will check that off my list.  Not that it is mine to claim.  It is Claire's for sure. 
  • Make sure Claire continues to Ooooo and Ahhhh her adoring fans. ✔
I was able to train yet another Gour child in the fine art of sleeping in.  Asher entered our family late in the school year and therefore had to be fast-tracked  for the summer sleeping schedule!  Like a true Gour, the boy mastered the skill with flying colors.  Sorry if you can't get your kids to do it, but I can.  So, I'll just check that off my list too.

  • Insure that Mama doesn't have to see the angelic faces of her precious babes before 9am-ish. ✔
I can't check off the list that was able to keep our family eating well during the summer.....'cause I so failed at that.  We didn't go so far as to partake in any Golden Arches{if you know what I mean} fast food, but suffice it to say that it was bad.  Bad!  Twizzlers at the beach kinda bad.  But, to look at the bright spot....Twizzlers or not, I live near the beach and got to go.  A lot.  Not as much as I wanted, but enough to make me thankful I'm not one of those land locked souls that don't. 

  • Buy a juicer so you can detox your family after the summer-o-junk-food and catapult them into a whole new level in freakish nutritional intake and raw/organic/vegetarian eating! ✔
I didn't get to paint the upstairs hall.  Or the stairwell.  Or the Foyer.  I didn't get to re-grout the kitchen tiles and seal them.  I didn't get Paul to finish building a play set in the yard for the little kids.  Or get the back yard landscaping spruced up.  But.....

  • Got to know Asher's Godparents better by having dinner with them almost every weekend. ✔
  • Spent time with sister and her family when they visited for Asher's birthday. ✔
  • Got to take Isabel on her first airplane ride.✔
  • Threw birthday party for child that never had one. ✔
  • Spent quality time with future son-in-law, YoYo.....oh, and his precious family!✔
  • Took walk downtown with sweet friend and remembered why I love living here!✔
  • Rode wave-runners for the first time and had a blast with sister. ✔
  • Watched children grow like the weeds in the back yard. ✔
  •  Found sand dollars and whelks at the beach.✔
  • Took long walk with sweet daughter on the beach. ✔
  • Read three books.✔
  • Was a good influence on two nieces and one nephew....I hope! ✔
  • Hang out with a little monkey {Casey} and her mama!✔
  • Learned to grind wheat and bake bread.✔
  • Dropped niece off at college! ✔
So, maybe I didn't get my to-do list done.  But, I think I like this list better! .

No comments: