Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Monday, October 18, 2010

In Control

Yesterday I stood in church and allowed myself to become overwhelmed thinking about the fundraising we are doing.  I'm not going to lie, this fundraising thing is way out of my comfort zone.  We didn't have to do a whole lot for our last adoption until the very end and then it was a big last minute push to get the money for our trip and Paul did all the talking.  I just sat in awe.  And applied for grants.  Which I am about to start doing again. 

A few weeks ago I hid in the house during most of the yard sale and let my sweet husband deal with the hordes of strangers that descended on our yard.  Of course, if it hadn't been for those hordes, we would not have seen God come through in such an amazing way and I have vowed to try to do better at the next one.  I will try to stay out in the thick of it rather than hide behind the mini-blinds to watch.  Oh, yes I did!  Me + Talking to strangers = hives, y'all.  Not pretty.  Who wants to see some poor unsuspecting lady walk up to ask me the price on a whatnot and then see said lady run screaming into the streets to escape whatever plague has obviously befallen me and riddled me with blotches of redness?  Okay, maybe that would be kinda funny to watch.  But seriously, folks.  Not good for sales, right? 

Anyway, the point is, I was becoming a little panicked in church yesterday, thinking of all the yard sales standing in between me and getting to Asher.  Forgetting, of course, the whole point is to see God glorified.  No one is concerned with whether or not this fundraising business fits into the box of things I'm comfortable with.  Nor should anyone be worried about that.  Because it isn't about me. If God wants us to ask for help, then who am I to say no thank you, I did not sign on for this? And I watched His blessings unfold on our yard as donations rolled in and rolled back out leaving behind over one thousand dollars.  Up until this sale, up until we sold stuff for God's purposes rather than our own,  our piddly yard sales have grossed no more than $300! 

So, as I'm standing there....in church on Sunday, I'm thinking how many yard sales will I have to endure {see, it's all about me again}?  Are You, God,  really going to provide all that we need?  I sat down {music is over} and my son hands me an envelope with my name on it.  I looked at him questioning.  He said it was in his seat, so I opened the envelope and it has a check for $150......

"Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" Matthew 8:23-27

It was just the nudge I needed to remind me of who is in control.  And, thank goodness it's not me! 

We had to postpone our next yard sale, which was originally planned for this past weekend.  There were too many conflicts.  It has been rescheduled for the first weekend in November. 

This weekend in our annual camping trip with several other homeschooling families.  This is real camping, not cabin stuff.  Well okay.  Real camping in the sense that we are going to be sleeping in our old pop-up camper.  I don't think I can do a tent anymore!  I guess I could if I had too.... Really, our pop-up is only a baby step up from a tent anyway.  It doesn't have a bathroom, we turn the entire thing into a giant bed, so there is no seating inside either and the heat/AC hasn't worked in years.  So basically, it's a tent on wheels!  But,that's okay.  We felt so blessed when some friends gave it to us and we still feel blessed just to have it so I don't have to sleep in a tent....without wheels...

Anyway.

When I get back from that trip I have a fundraising surprise for you!  A BIG surprise.

Oh, and since I didn't have any pictures to go with this post, I have to post one of my Li'l Emperor!  'Cause who could get tired of looking at that cuteness?


I love this face he's making here!  Just want to squeeze him!

3 comments:

Scott Killen said...

I love article and the picture! What a cute guy!

Difference2This1 said...

Just stopping by from your link in the adopt CP group (welcome to the group!). We have 3 from China and waiting for 2 from Bulgaria. You have a beautiful family! Prayers for a smooth journey to your son!!! Blessings, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Chelsea,
such an honest heartfelt post. I am inspired by your persistence to keep trying, even when it seems overwhelmning.
Joanne