Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Crafty Thing

I started this post about three weeks ago, and then some how lost it in the shuffle. Not sure how that happened. But, it's good that I've found it right now when I don't really have the brain cells to come up with something original .....or even complete at this point.

Isabel is in a club with our homeschool group that centers around @merican @irl dolls and the history periods. She loves going to her club meetings and everything that it involves. What girl wouldn't I ask you?

Well, for the Christmas party all the girls were asked to make a gift for each of the other girls in the club. Plus the two amazing leaders. That would be about 24 gifts y'all! The ideas given were to make an ornament or a baked treat for each girl. Seems pretty simple. Except that Isabel's mom really wanted her to do something original. Yet, she is not exactly creative. Hmmmm. Poses a bit of an issue. Ya think?

I racked my brain and I searched the internet. And, for some odd reason, soap came to mind. Soap? I've never had any experience with soap. Well, except for using it, of course! I do know how to do that!

After a little research, it seemed that soap might actually be doable. Now, I'm not talking about the kind of soap where you need 123 different ingrediants to make it smelly and softy and scubby and all that. I'm just talking about something simple. HEAT AND POUR GLYCERIN!

I asked Isabel what she thought and she loved the idea. Duh! It involved craft fun, with her mom, and making a mess. That has Isabel written all over it!

We loaded up the car and headed to the nearest craft store. Which is not actually near at all! You'd think we could get a nice craft store where we live. But alas, it eludes us.

Anyway, it turned out to be a fun and easy craft......now that they have heat and pour glycerin soap! So, even though it's probably too late for you to consider this little craft for your homemade Christmas gifts this year, I thought I would share anyway! Maybe you'll remember this post next year. Maybe not!



Our Supplies
And, since the craft store is not near us, I was not planning to make another run for it, so I bought anything and everything that we might possibly need for this experiment.

I got us these nifty imprints that made the soaps look special. I also bought a bottle of fragrance and some soap color.



Okay, so it really is simple. You cut off a few cubes of glycerin, drop them in a glass measuring cup and melt them in the microwave for like 40 seconds.

Add some color and fragrance drops if you like!


Then you pour it in the molds with the imprints (face up) in the bottom.




Here the soaps are setting up. Takes about 20 minutes and then you pop them out!

VoilĂ !

All together now!
Ooooooo! Ahhhhhhh!

Can you believe that something this pretty was as easy as melt, mix, pour and pop? Can you?
'Cause it totally was!

Aren't these sooooo cute? Isabel did a really wonderful job. But, there was a little trick to these. You had to make solid colored soaps, cut them into pieces, freeze them and then toss them into clear glycerin soaps in the molds.




She did, in fact make over 24 original soaps to give to her friends. And, it was in fact easy enough for her to do it alone. Except it was fun! And so her mom had to help!
'Cause I'm sweet like that!
Oh, and by-the-way,
God parents should forget they saw this post,
because you are totally going to see these again!

2 comments:

The Source said...

I like it! Great idea, and Isabel did a terrific job. I'll have to keep that in mind...for...oh I have no idea what for, but it looks like fun. I wonder how you would make it with goat's milk? not that I have access to a goat or anything, but I like goat's milk stuff.

junglemama said...

What a neat idea! I like them!