Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Monday, June 22, 2009

A Kitchen Table

You know the saying, You don't know what you've got until it's gone? Well, a very, very, very, very long time ago 3 months and 3 weeks ago, we gutted our kitchen, for the oh so amazing transformation from the 1980's "contemporary tract home" look to 21st century chic ummmm.....to something nicer! In doing so, we had to remove the table from the kitchen and for a while, it found a new home in the boys bedroom upstairs. This provided a place for the kids to eat their meals, but was too tight a squeeze for Paul and me. *sigh* We ate at t.v. trays in another room. Then the summer arrived, and the table was disassembled and stashed in the attic to make room for the floor to be turned into a giant bed....you know, so all those visiting kids would have some place to sleep. That has made for a big fat mess an interesting dining experience at our house! Let. me. just. tell. you.

I finally broke down....on Father's Day. My kitchen is not complete yet, but I had to have a table. And chairs. We had invited the in-laws for a Father's Day dinner, and I just couldn't see Frank and Marie Glen and Dianne sitting on the floor with their plates in their laps! Ahem. Can you?

Part of our Un-Extreme Makeover was to buy a new kitchen table to go with the new kitchen. Nothing expensive. I had two prerequisites....it had to BIG and it had to have lots of sturdy chairs. We found one that fit the bill at a local "massed produced stuff" store. You know what I'm talking about. I don't care if my furniture has a history............can it seat 10 and will the chairs still be functional in 10 years???? That's what I care about!

Five boxes. Three hours of labor. One power drill. Tada! Table. And chairs. And just for good measure, a bench!




Easily sat eight last night with room for more!




Yes, Paul had to put it together, and I know I should be ashamed for making him pick up a drill on Father's Day. But hey, it would have taken longer with a screw driver....

We put three kids on one side and could have put at least one more, maybe two small ones!

So, there is no trim in this kitchen yet. Not around the doors or the floors.




Some of the switches and outlets have been.....ummmm, switched. Others haven't.






The back splash? Most of it is still in the box. One piece is leaning against the wall. So, I can love it even if it isn't in place yet.

Ooooo, I love it!


And, that darned, so called "laundry room" still doesn't have doors.....or floor for that matter (interesting story there-ahem).

Notice anything else? No grout. Haven't gotten around to that yet. *sigh* But, we will. Soon. Maybe.



But, WE'VE GOT A TABLE dad gonnit!


And, we shared our first family dinner around it with Meme and Papa. It was very lovely!




Paul and I were both raised having dinner around a table and we know it's a good thing! We just almost forgot what it was like after so long! Weeks and weeks of sitting in front of the t.v. can eat at your brain I think. So, tonight there will be no Jon and Kate with our baked ziti. Hannah Montana is not coming to dinner. Those Jonas boys can go eat in their bus. It will just be Parker and Noah, Claire and Isabel......and me. Sadly, Paul will not enjoy our 2nd-family-dinner-in-the-new-kitchen. But, he'll be here for the next!

3 comments:

Hezra said...

oh man man do I understand your table philosophy. I found a table and hutch deal(STEAL) last year. It had 6 chairs but we had 4 already.(we have them alternatingf for that chic/country look ;-) It seats 10 and was beautiful. lol , I say was-- it still is but it is looking a bit tired. Two chairs have been broken(1 repaired, 1 still in the garage) When you do eat three meals a day and homeschool and snack at it, and do sewing and art projects-- these pieces of furniture have to see a lot of wear and surevive a lot of abuse. It is great when you find one that will do all that and look beautiful too!! Congrats!!

Brianna said...

(*Jonas Brothers*)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new table! It looks great in my kitchen. Thanks! :)
Did I mention I love it? ....Cause I do.

Mama S said...

It does look great and so does the kitchen what I can see of it that's been finished. I can't wait to come for a visit when its all done. I especially like the window in the dining room and the new french doors - both of those were great ideas. See you soon.