Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Past

As promised, I dug up some pictures from my childhood. As it turns out, I only had a few. I guess Mom has the rest. And also, she was not the camera nut that I am. So there aren't 250 pictures of each and every memorable, and not so memorable, event from my childhood, as there are for my children! But, I still have pictures in my head....hey, at least there aren't voices in there! As I said, my mother went all out at Christmas. That was her holiday! She spent countless hours making sure it was great, from the decorating to the gifts. We did special things each year and I have so many memories....of making ornaments...of decorating the tree with her...of baking Christmas goodies!



See, I told you Santa came to our house on Christmas Eve BEFORE we went to bed! Yeah, that would be one of our neighbors, but I didn't know it! This is probably 1974 and that is my little sister, Jennifer with me.

And here we are on Christmas Day! See that Winnebago? I was the only kid I knew with one of those things. That is because, according to my mother, it wasn't actually for sale. It was a part of a display, but I saw it at the store and pitched a fit for it thought I needed it. I have no memory of that actual day, of course! Apparently, Santa was not looking that day and only got the memo that I really wanted the Winnebago.......or maybe I was just a little spoiled! But, I loved that thing! I crammed my Barbies in it ('cause it wasn't made for Barbie and so she didn't actually fit well) and rode it down the driveway! What you can't see is that there are tons more toys that did not make it into that picture.

*At this time, we interrupt the regularly scheduled post because my husband would like to take the time to tell his in-laws how very much he appreciates that fact that they catered to my every whim at Christmas time. He has considered it a wonderful challenge to try to compete with these memories and carry on where they left off! He also revels in the fact that I feel it necessary to treat our children to the same childhood memories.....even if it makes him crazy....he smiles....through gritted teeth it all!*



This one must have been taken in 1976. I know this because that is my baby sister, Amy, in the foreground. She would have been about 1 1/2 there and that looks about right. I included it because I wanted you to see that magnificent tree! Apparently there was no amount of tinsel that would have been considered too much!

My wish is that my children grow up to have the same kind of memories I have of the Christmas Season! I hope they love the surprises and the traditions the way I did and do. I hope they remember the times we spent decorating together, baking together, making together....it's the together part that's important! And, yes, my mother taught me that!

4 comments:

Brianna said...

Aww. That's so sweet. Meme always outdoes herself. Ya'll are awesome for trying to recreate the good times you had when you were growing up.

The Source said...

Awww...what a bunch of cuties! Definitely early 70's wallpaper there. I should know...it's the same stuff we had. And NO FAIR ont he Winnebago. My Barbies had to walk! Although they rarely left their dream home. The elevator was always broken.

Terrific post! You should add it to We Are THAT Family on Thursday!

Yvette said...

Wow! Those pictures look just like Christmas morning at my house when I was a kid (except for the Winnebago)! Memories!!

Anonymous said...

You summed this up so well. I feel EXACTLY the same. It's my favorite time of year just because of all the amazing childhood memories our mama has given us through the years with the Christmas Season. (And adulthood memories since she's hasn't slowed down yet!!) I wonder if she'll ever truly know how much it means to us and how in turn we want nothing more than to give the same to our kids. In fact, I was just talking to a handful of coworkers a few days ago telling them all about our Christmases and how extra special our mama always made them, even still. I love her so much for that, for those priceless memories!!! And by the way, don't think I didn't notice that you included my two favorite Christmas songs, traditional and contemporary, into your new holiday playlist. Thank you! I love you, too!!! :)

~Your baby sis [the little one in the second photo above]