Beautiful Life





Hey child up and go; A big world is out there waiting for us to live in every day. Outside you will find, there is love all around you; Takes you, makes you wanna' say; That it's a beautiful life and it's a beautiful world and it's a beautiful time to be here, to be here, to be here. -Fisher

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Must Be Santa!

Who's got a beard that's long and white?
Santa's got a beard that's long and white.
Who comes around on a special night?
Santa comes around on a special night.
Special night, beard that's white,
Must be Santa. Must be Santa. Must be Santa, Santa Claus.

Who wears boots and a suit of red?
Santa wears boots and a suit of red.
Who wears a long cap on his head?
Santa wears a long cap on his head.
Cap on head, suit that's red, special night, beard that's white.
Must be Santa. Must be Santa. Must be Santa, Santa Claus.

Who's got a big red cherry nose?
Santa's got a big red cherry nose.
Who laughs this way: HO HO HO?
Santa laughs this way: HO HO HO!
HO HO HO, cherry nose, cap on head, suit that's red, special night, beard that's white.
Must be Santa. Must be Santa. Must be Santa, Santa Claus.

Who very soon will come our way?
Santa very soon will come our way.
Eight little reindeer pull his sleigh.
Santa's little reindeer pull his sleigh.
Reindeer sleigh, come our way, HO HO HO, cherry nose, cap on head, suit that's red, special night, beard that's white.
Must be Santa. Must be Santa. Must be Santa, Santa Claus.


This is a song on our Raffi CD that Isabel LOVES and it is STUCK IN OUR HEADS!
As I said before, I'm a little bit of a Christmas Crazy, a Noel Nutball, a Yuletide Yo-Yo...you get the picture! I eat, sleep and breath Christmas from the moment the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers are stowed in the Tupperware until January 6th each year. But hey, that apple didn't fall too far from the tree-my mother was asking for my Christmas Lists the day after Halloween this year!

To go with my Christmas OCD, I have quite a collection of Christmas paraphernalia including, but not limited to, Nativity sets, ornaments, Christmas Books, Christmas movies, Christmas music. And, I'm always looking for more of it. Although, I know some that are way worse than me..... I would draw the line at a leg lamp, but apparently Tonggu Mama would not!

Anyway, all that to say that I love me a good Santa picture! And, by good, I mean any picture with my kids in it, regardless of whether or not they WANTED to be there. I love them so much that I would stick my newborns in the arms of a perfect stranger in K-Mart, just because he was dressed as Santa! Hey, I knew perfectly well that Paul could TAKE HIM DOWN if need be!

Noah and Parker
1996
first Santa picture~my favorite Santa picture ever!
Notice two things-Santa looks very nervous and he is not in his sleigh...that's because he is very nervous! I don't think this Santa had ever held two babies this tiny before....or he was just afraid that if he made one false move Paul would TAKE HIM DOWN! Alas, this is the only Santa picture I have of Noah where he is not screaming his head off until he is 4 years old.

1998

But yes, I love Santa pictures so much that I would traumatize my 18 month old just to get the annual shot! That goes back to the whole "whether they WANTED to be there or not" thing. Send me the therapy bill now! As you can see, Santa is clearly as thrilled about this as Noah.


2001

And here we see a child after my heart. For Isabel, it was love at first sight with the big guy. And, finally Noah has come to apprieciate the gravity of the situation!



2003

One of the sweetest looking of them all!

When the boys decided they were TOO OLD FOR SANTA I still had Isabel to feed my fetish!


2005

2006

2007

She is only too happy to get all dressed up and make the pilgrimage to the mall for her photo opportunity!

This year, my boys sweetly indulged me and got into the picture so I would have one with all four of them! Merry Christmas to me!

I realize this whole Santa fixation flies in the face of all the "Reason for the Season" stuff. As I said, I think this tradition has a place too and we have a careful balance in our house. The scale tilts in the direction of honoring Christ not Claus. I just like my Santa pictures. I like the story of St. Nicholas and the spirit that encompasses the original Santa. My children know well that Christmas is not about making out long lists of stuff you want and sitting back expecting the Man in Red to drop it on your hearth!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

what a good pic! i love that dress isabel! it looks like a princess dress (& you look like a princess as always! claire looks thrilled too!

Heather BT said...

My husband and I have had our picture taken with Santa every year since we started dating, we've added family members as they've come along, but it's our tradition. Of course it doesn't hurt that Santa comes to the store I work at once a year.
Keep up the tradition, if the kids get too old, you can always sit on his lap yourself.
Heather BT
http://adoptakid.blogspot.com

The Source said...

What gorgeous Santa pictures! We gave up standing in line at the mall years ago, but still went to Fatman's for our annual photo...until they closed! But I have news for you...we CAUGHT SANTA leaving gifts at our house last night...so what do you mean he's not real??? I have picture proof.